Thai Grapefruit Salad
Pomelo salad is one of the most famous of all Thai salads and a favorite among the Thai people. Pomelo is similar to grapefruit but much larger.
- Serves: 6 persons
- For the Salad Dressing:
- ⅓cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 3tablespoons fish sauce
- 1tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 ½to 3 tablespoons brown sugar, to taste
- 1to 2 teaspoons Thai chili sauce
- For the Salad:
- 12to 16 medium shrimp, peeled, deveined
- 2tablespoons shredded coconut, unsweetened or sweetened
- 2pink grapefruit, or 1 pomelo
- 1small to medium cucumber, diced
- 1red pepper, diced
- ¼cup finely chopped shallots
- ¼cup fresh basil, chopped
- ¼cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1red chili, minced, optional
- ¼cup dry-roasted unsalted cashews
- Handful salad greens, optional, for serving
Step 1Combine all dressing ingredients together in a cup, stirring well to dissolve the sugar.
Step 2Set a pot of water to boil on the stove. Add shrimp and boil just a few minutes, until shrimp turn pink and plump and firm to the touch. Drain and set aside to cool.
Step 3Place shredded coconut in a dry frying pan or wok over medium-high heat and stir until coconut turns light golden brown and fragrant. Place coconut in a small bowl to cool and set aside.
Step 4Prepare your grapefruit, removing as much of the white peel as possible from the fruit. Break into bite-sized pieces, 3 to 4 cups is a good amount. Set prepared fruit in a salad bowl.
Step 5Add to the bowl the cucumber, red pepper, shallots, basil, cilantro, and fresh chili, if using.
Step 6To put the salad together, add shrimp to the salad bowl, then pour over the dressing. Toss well to combine. Add most of the toasted coconut and cashews, reserving a little for garnishing, then toss again.
Step 7Taste-test the salad for a balance of sweet/sour/spicy/salty. Adjust to your liking, adding more sugar if too sour. Your salad is now ready to serve, or, if desired, prepare individual plates with a bed of greens and then top with generous portions of the pomelo salad. Sprinkle with reserved coconut and cashews.