Onion Tart With Leeks, Capers and Anchovy
Though this tart may seem complicated, it’s actually rather simple to put together. Once you make the savory onion mixture, all that’s left to do is spread it on a sheet of rolled-out puff pastry, top it with anchovy fillets and capers, and bake it to a golden brown. Use any kind of flaky pastry or pie dough you wish, or even spread the mixture on yeasted pizza dough. Accompany with a salad of small lettuce greens if desired. The tart is delicious served warm or at room temperature.
- Serves: 4 persons
- ¼cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3medium onions, diced (about 3 cups)
- Salt and pepper
- 3medium leeks, white and tender green parts, diced (about 2 cups)
- 3garlic cloves, minced
- ½teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1sheet store-bought all-butter puff pastry, thawed and rolled into a 10-inch circle (or use any favorite pie dough recipe)
- 2teaspoons medium capers, rinsed
- 8anchovy fillets
- 2teaspoons snipped chives or chopped parsley
Step 1Heat oven to 375 degrees.
Step 2Put olive oil in a wide skillet or heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat. When oil is wavy, add onions and cook, stirring, until softened and lightly browned, about 5 to 7 minutes. Season well with salt and pepper.
Step 3Add leeks, garlic and thyme, and cook for another 5 minutes, until leeks are softened but still bright green. Taste and adjust seasoning, then spread mixture on a baking sheet to cool to room temperature.
Step 4Lay pastry round on a rimmed parchment-lined baking sheet. Spread cooled onion mixture over pastry, leaving a 1-inch border. Fold over the border and crimp.
Step 5Sprinkle capers evenly over onion mixture. Arrange anchovy fillets on top.
Step 6Bake for 45 minutes, until the pastry is nicely browned. Cool tart for 5 minutes, then sprinkle the chives on top and cut into wedges to serve.