Mango-Avocado Salad With Lime Vinaigrette
Inspired by Vietnamese green papaya salad, this salad stars ripe, juicy mangoes and dresses them in the classic punchy lime-fish sauce dressing. Tender torn greens, crunchy sweet snap peas and creamy avocado round out this dish with both crispy and creamy bites. The cooling salad is the perfect side to accompany grilled or roasted fish, chicken, or steak. If mangoes are unavailable, tomatoes or sweet stone fruit like peaches are tasty options.
- Serves: 8 persons
- ¾cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼cup freshly squeezed lime juice (from 2 limes)
- ¼cup minced shallot
- 1tablespoon fish sauce
- 1teaspoon granulated sugar
- ¼teaspoon minced garlic
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- ½cup chopped cilantro leaves and tender stems
- 1large head Boston or butter lettuce (1 pound), trimmed and leaves torn into large pieces
- 2ripe mangoes, sliced or cubed
- 8ounces snap peas, trimmed and thinly sliced on the diagonal
- 2ripe avocados, sliced or cubed
Step 1In a large bowl, combine oil, lime juice, shallot, fish sauce, sugar and garlic; season with salt and pepper. Whisk until well blended, then stir in half of the cilantro. Reserve half of the dressing in a small bowl for serving.
Step 2Arrange lettuce in an even layer on a serving platter. Add mangoes, snap peas and avocados to the large bowl and gently toss to evenly coat in the dressing.
Step 3Arrange salad over lettuce and garnish with the remaining cilantro. Serve with the reserved dressing on the side, for drizzling.