Chocolate Cherry Kiss Cookies
My grandma loved chocolate-covered cherries, so I combined 2 recipes to come up with these yummy cookies. She loved that I made a special cookie just for her. These are also Jessie's favorite cookie.
- Serves: 4 persons
- 2⅓ cups all-purpose flour
- ½teaspoon salt
- 1cup shortening (such as Crisco®)
- 1cup powdered sugar
- 4teaspoons maraschino cherry juice
- 4drops red food coloring
- ¾teaspoon almond extract
- ⅛teaspoon cherry flavoring (such as Wilton®)
- ¾cup drained, chopped maraschino cherries
- 48milk chocolate kisses (such as HERSHEY'S), or more as needed
Step 1Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
Step 2Whisk flour and salt together in a small bowl.
Step 3Combine shortening, powdered sugar, cherry juice, red food coloring, and cherry flavoring in a large bowl. Add flour mixture and mix well. Stir in maraschino cherries.
Step 4Shape dough into 1-inch balls; arrange 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
Step 5Bake in the preheated oven until edges are light golden brown, 8 to 10 minutes. Immediately top each cookie with a chocolate kiss, pressing firmly. Transfer cookies to wire racks to cool completely.