Pantry Chicken Casserole
Using pantry items plus a couple of fresh items, you can create a cheesy, comforting casserole your whole family will love. Though it does include RO*TEL® and a can of mild green chile peppers, it's not spicy, but if you like the heat, choose hot RO*TEL® and peppers. This pantry chicken casserole reheats well, too, but I had to hide it, or there would have been no night #2! A crusty bread and a green salad complete this easy pantry meal.
- Serves: 10 persons
- cooking spray
- 1(16 ounce) package penne pasta
- 4tablespoons salted butter
- 1large onion, chopped
- 1green bell pepper - stemmed, seeded, and finely chopped
- 1(8 ounce) package sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3cloves garlic, minced
- 2(8 ounce) packages processed cheese food (such as Velveeta®), cubed
- 1(14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1(10 ounce) can diced tomatoes and green chiles (such as RO*TEL®), undrained
- 1(4 ounce) can mild chopped green chile peppers
- 4cups cooked chicken, cut into bite-sized pieces
Step 1Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Spray a large casserole dish with cooking spray.
Step 2Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add penne and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender yet firm to the bite, about 11 minutes. Drain.
Step 3While the pasta is cooking, melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and bell pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook until they release their liquid, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until fragrant, about 1 minute.
Step 4Stir in processed cheese food, diced tomatoes and juice, diced tomatoes and green chiles with juice, and mild chile peppers. Cook and stir until cheese has melted, 5 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in cooked pasta and chicken. Pour into the prepared baking dish.
Step 5Bake in the preheated oven until heated through, about 20 minutes. Serve warm.