Eggplant and Tomato Casserole With Mozzarella Cheese
In this dish, lightly browned eggplant is layered with tomatoes, sweet onions, and garlic, then it is baked to perfection with a cheese topping.
- Serves: 4 persons
- 1medium eggplant (sliced in 1/4-inch thick rounds)
- Extra-virgin olive oil (as needed)
- ½medium sweet onion (cut in thin slices)
- 1medium clove garlic (minced)
- 1(14 1/2-ounce) can diced tomatoes (with juice)
- ⅛teaspoon dried leaf basil
- Dash salt (or to taste)
- Dash freshly ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 3slices Mozzarella cheese (or about 1 cup shredded)
Step 1Gather the ingredients.
Step 2Layer eggplant slices in a colander, salting each layer generously. Let stand for 30 minutes. Rinse well and pat dry.
Step 3Heat a thin layer of olive oil in a large skillet or sauté pan over medium heat; add eggplant to the hot oil and cook, turning once, for about 5 minutes, or until lightly browned. Repeat until all eggplant slices are cooked, using as little oil as needed to fry the slices. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
Step 4Add more oil to the skillet if needed; add onions and garlic. Cook until tender.
Step 5Add the tomatoes to onion mixture along with the basil, and salt and pepper, to taste.
Step 6Layer eggplant slices with the onion and tomato mixture in a shallow, lightly greased casserole.
Step 7Bake the eggplant for 20 minutes at 350 F/180 C.
Step 8Top with sliced or shredded Mozzarella cheese and bake for 8 minutes longer, or until cheese is melted.