Slow Cooker Sweet Potato and Chorizo Chili
A tasty twist on an old favorite. Garnish with sliced avocado, cilantro, green onion, Cheddar cheese, sour cream, or any of your favorite chili toppings!
- Serves: 6 persons
- 1(1 pound) ground Mexican chorizo
- 1medium onion, diced
- 1green bell pepper, diced
- 1(4 ounce) can chopped green chiles
- 1clove garlic, minced
- 1(15 ounce) can chili beans
- 1(14 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chiles
- 1large sweet potato, diced
- ½(6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1teaspoon chili powder
- ¼teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼teaspoon ground cloves
- 1bay leaf
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 3cups water, or to taste
Step 1Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Saute chorizo, onion, and bell pepper until chorizo is mostly browned and vegetables soften, about 10 minutes. Add green chiles and garlic; saute for 3 to 5 minutes more.
Step 2Transfer sauteed mixture to a slow cooker. Add chili beans, diced tomatoes, sweet potato, tomato paste, chili powder, cinnamon, cloves, bay leaf, salt, and pepper. Mix well. Add water until chili is at your desired consistency.
Step 3Cook on High for at least 4 hours. Serve in deep bowls.