Baked Pears with Wine and Walnut Cream
Sweet, fruity dessert. Garnish with orange peel and walnuts if desired.
- Serves: 8 persons
- 4pears, peeled
- 10fluid ounces red wine, or more to taste
- ½cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1vanilla bean, split and seeds scraped out and reserved
- 1orange, peeled and juiced (peel reserved)
- 7ounces shelled walnuts, divided
- ½cup heavy whipping cream
- ½cup sour cream
- 1orange, zested and juiced
- 2teaspoons dark brown sugar, or as needed
Step 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
Step 2Arrange pears in an oven-proof pan with a tight-fitting lid; add red wine, 1/2 cup brown sugar, vanilla bean and seeds, and the peel and juice of 1 orange. Bring pear mixture to a boil; sprinkle with half the walnuts.
Step 3Bake the pear mixture in the preheated oven until pears are tender, 20 to 30 minutes, basting pears with red wine syrup every 10 minutes. Remove from oven and cool; remove the vanilla bean and orange peel from the red wine syrup.
Step 4Arrange the remaining walnuts on a baking sheet and bake in the preheated oven until toasted and fragrant, 5 minutes.
Step 5Place the toasted walnuts in a food processor and pour in the red wine syrup; pulse until paste-like consistency. Transfer to a bowl. Whisk cream, sour cream, zest and juice of 1 orange, and 2 teaspoons brown sugar into walnut-red wine paste until smooth.
Step 6Serve walnut-cream sauce over baked pears.