Peacock Alley Martinez
Frank Caiafa’s modified Martinez has been a staple for years on the cocktail menu of the Peacock Alley bar in the Waldorf Astoria. The pre-Prohibition drink’s flavor is rendered more complex by his using both sweet and dry vermouth (making this a “perfect” Martinez), as well as the addition of orange bitters. At the Waldorf, Mr. Caiafa barrel-ages his own gin. But for the home bartender, the Ransom or Greenhook commercial brands will do nicely. Like many of the drinks on the Peacock Alley list, it’s an elegantly modernized version of a classic.
- Serves: 1 person
- 2ounces Old Tom gin, preferably Ransom or Greenhook Ginsmiths
- 1ounce sweet vermouth, preferably Martini & Rossi
- ¾ounce Noilly Prat extra-dry vermouth
- ¼ounce maraschino liqueur, preferably Luxardo
- 1dash Angostura bitters
- 1dash orange bitters, preferably Regans’
- Lemon twist, for garnish
Step 1Combine all ingredients in a mixing glass three-quarters filled with ice. Stir until chilled, about 30 seconds. Strain into a chilled cocktail glass. Garnish with lemon twist.