Vietnamese-Style Chicken With Fragrant Rice Noodles
Nuoc cham, the Vietnamese dipping sauce, does double duty here: As a marinade, it soaks into the chicken as it roasts. And as part of a rich pan sauce for rice noodles, it marries with the chicken juices. Look for rice noodles that are flat and similar in width to linguine, those normally used for pad Thai. Since the noodles are served at room temperature, run them under cool water after boiling to keep them from clumping. Raw snap peas offer a refreshing crunch, and fans of half-sour pickles will enjoy the extra tanginess they add to the dish.
- Serves: 4 persons
- 5tablespoons lime juice
- 2tablespoons safflower or canola oil
- 3tablespoons Asian fish sauce
- 2tablespoons minced garlic
- 2tablespoons peeled, minced ginger
- 2tablespoons turbinado sugar
- 2Thai chile peppers, stemmed and minced
- 2pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 3tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 12ounces pad Thai rice noodles
- 4ounces snap peas (about 1 cup), strings removed and cut diagonally into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1cup half-sour pickles, quartered lengthwise and cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- ½cup chopped basil leaves
- ½cup chopped cilantro leaves
- Lime wedges, for serving
Step 1Heat oven to 450 degrees. In a large bowl, prepare the marinade by combining 3 tablespoons lime juice, oil, fish sauce, garlic, ginger, sugar and peppers, and mix well. Add chicken to marinade, season with salt and pepper, and mix well. Spread chicken in an even layer on a large rimmed baking sheet and roast until golden and cooked through, about 20 minutes. Transfer chicken to a plate and scrape the pan juices and bits into a small bowl. Spoon off grease, then stir in the soy sauce and the remaining 2 tablespoons of lime juice to make the pan sauce.
Step 2Meanwhile, cook rice noodles until tender, according to package directions. Drain and run under cold water until cool. Drain well and transfer to a large bowl. Add snap peas, pickles, basil, cilantro and pan sauce and season with salt and pepper. Toss to combine. Serve with lime wedges.
Step 3Divide noodles in 4 bowls and top with chicken. Serve with lime wedges.