Cream of Thyme Asparagus Soup
With leftover asparagus in the freezer, I whipped this up on a cold January night and couldn't keep the ladle out of the pot! Serve with a crispy baguette.
- Serves: 4 persons
- 1tablespoon olive oil
- 2small onions, chopped
- ½cup chopped mushrooms, or to taste
- 1teaspoon minced garlic, or to taste
- 1bunch asparagus, trimmed and coarsely chopped
- ⅓cup dry white wine
- 2dashes dried thyme, or more to taste
- 1dash ground black pepper
- 3cups vegetable broth, or more to taste
- ½cup heavy cream
Step 1Heat olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onions, mushrooms, and garlic; cook and stir until onions soften, about 5 minutes. Add asparagus, wine, thyme, and black pepper; cook and stir until asparagus is tender, about 5 minutes. Pour in 2 cups broth. Simmer soup until flavors combine, 5 to 10 minutes.
Step 2Puree soup with an immersion blender until smooth. Stir in cream. Thin soup with remaining stock to desired consistency and simmer until heated through, 5 to 10 minutes.