Crab Puffs - Crab Rangoon Recipe
This excellent recipe crab puffs, also known as crab rangoon, comes from Shirley Fong-Torres, who learned the recipe from her father.
- Serves: 6 persons
- ½pound cooked crab meat or smoked salmon , lightly flaked
- 1teaspoon green onion, finely minced
- ¼pound cream cheese (at room temperature)
- ½teaspoon steak sauce
- ½teaspoon garlic powder or 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1pound wonton wrappers
- 1beaten egg or 2 egg whites
Step 1Combine crab meat or smoked salmon, green onion, cream cheese, steak sauce, and garlic.
Step 2Place 1/2 teaspoon of mixture in the center of the wonton wrapper; lightly brush the edges with the beaten egg. Fold square over to form a triangle.
Step 3Bring opposite corners together and press gently, so filling will be secure. Place oil in wok and heat to 375 F for deep-frying.
Step 4Deep-fry one crab or salmon puff and adjust heat downwards if necessary. Fry rest of puffs until delicately brown, less than two minutes. Serve hot.