Pesto Genovese (Authentic Italian Basil Pesto)
An authentic Genoese pesto. It's straight from Italy and you won't find a better recipe! This calls for a spoonful of pecorino cheese, but you could also use all Parmesan in a pinch. To store in fridge for up to 1 month: place pesto in a jar, cover with olive oil, and top with a lid.
- Serves: 6 persons
- 2cloves garlic, or more to taste
- 2tablespoons pine nuts
- 1bunch fresh basil leaves
- ½cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1½ tablespoons grated pecorino Romano cheese
- ½cup extra-virgin olive oil
Step 1Crush garlic using a mortar and pestle. Add pine nuts; crush with the garlic. Add basil leaves gradually, making circular movements with the pestle, until a smooth paste forms.
Step 2Mix Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese and pecorino Romano cheese using a wooden spoon. Stir in olive oil until pesto is blended.