Vegan Cashew "Chicken" Stir Fry
This vegan stir fry with bamboo shoots, celery, cashews, and tofu features plenty of vegetables. You'll be amazed by how good the tofu tastes.
- Serves: 4 persons
- 2tablespoons peanut oil (or vegetable oil)
- 2-3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1teaspoon fresh ginger (minced)
- 8ounces firm (or extra-firm) tofu ( well pressed )
- ¾cup mushrooms (sliced)
- 1(4-ounce) can bamboo shoots (drained and preferably sliced thin)
- 2stalks celery (sliced)
- 1red (or green) bell pepper (chopped)
- ⅓cup vegetable broth (or water)
- 2tablespoons soy sauce
- 1tablespoon cornstarch (mixed with 3 tablespoons water)
- ½cup cashews
- Optional: 3 green onions (chopped)
Step 1In a large skillet or wok, heat the oil and add garlic and ginger for just a minute or two, then add the tofu, carefully stirring to mix up the ginger and garlic. Heat for 3 to 4 minutes, until tofu is lightly golden.
Step 2Add the red bell pepper and celery and heat, stirring, for about a minute, then add the mushrooms and bamboo shoots.
Step 3Add the vegetable broth or water and soy sauce and allow to simmer for another minute or two, until vegetables are tender but not yet done.
Step 4Stir in water-cornstarch mixture, heat until thickened and vegetables are done cooking; then stir in cashews and green onions. Combine well.
Step 5Serve this vegetable stir fry immediately with steamed rice, cooked noodles, or your favorite whole grain.