Pork Chop and Hash Brown Potato Bake
This pork chop and hash brown casserole makes a satisfying family meal, and it's budget-friendly. The chops are topped with crunchy French fried onions.
- Serves: 6 persons
- 6(3/4 to 1-inch thick) pork chops
- 1tablespoon vegetable oil or extra virgin olive oil
- Optional: seasoned salt or a Creole seasoning blend
- 1can (10 3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom or cream of celery soup
- ½cup milk
- ½cup sour cream
- ¼teaspoon black pepper (ground)
- 1teaspoon parsley flakes (dried)
- 1bag (24 ounces) frozen hash brown potatoes (Southern style, shredded, or O'Brien, thawed*)
- 1cup Cheddar cheese (shredded)
- 1can (2.8 ounces) French fried onions
Step 1Gather the ingredients.
Step 2Lightly grease a 13-by-9-by-2-inch (3-quart) baking dish. Preheat the oven to 350 F/180 C/Gas 4.
Step 3Heat a small amount of oil in a large skillet or saute pan ; brown the pork chops on both sides. Sprinkle the chops with the seasoned salt and set aside.
Step 4In a large bowl combine the condensed soup, milk, sour cream, pepper, parsley, and 1/2 teaspoon of seasoned salt. Stir in thawed potatoes, 1/2 cup of the shredded cheese, and half of the can of the French fried onions. Spoon the potato mixture into the prepared baking dish.
Step 5Arrange pork chops on the potatoes and then cover the baking dish tightly with foil.
Step 6Bake for 1 1/2 hours. Top with remaining shredded cheese and French fried onions. Return to the oven and bake for 5 to 10 minutes longer, or until the cheese has melted.