Finnish Summer Soup
This soup should be made with fresh vegetables. Serve with a bread and cheese platter as they do in Finland. If you can't get fresh shelled green peas, use frozen tiny green peas.
- Serves: 4 persons
- 2cups water
- 5small potatoes, peeled and halved
- 1teaspoon salt
- ⅛teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2tablespoons butter
- 6cups green onions, cut into 3 inch lengths
- 12baby carrots
- 1½ pounds fresh green beans, cut into 1-inch lengths
- 2cups fresh shelled green peas
- 2cups half-and-half
- 3tablespoons all-purpose flour
Step 1Heat water to boiling in a medium pot; add potatoes. Reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are tender, approximately 15 to 20 minutes.
Step 2Add salt, pepper, butter, onions, carrots and green beans; simmer until tender then add peas.
Step 3In a small bowl, stir together half-and-half and flour until smooth; stir into the simmering vegetables. Cook, stirring constantly until the soup is slightly thickened. Serve immediately.