Healthy meatball & noodle soup
Warm up on cold evenings with this one-pan, aromatic broth with pork meatballs and noodles. We’ve taken inspiration from Vietnamese pho flavours
- Serves: 4 persons
- 1batch of meatballs (see recipe in 'Goes well with'))
- 1tbsp vegetable oil
- thumb-sized piece of ginger, peeled and finely grated
- 8spring onions, finely sliced
- 2star anise
- 1cinnamon stick
- 2lemongrass sticks, tough outer leaves removed and finely sliced
- 1-2 green chillies (seeds removed if you prefer less heat), finely sliced
- small bunch of coriander, leaves and stalks separated, both finely chopped
- 1tbsp light brown soft sugar
- 2 ¾litres beef stock
- 1-2 tsp fish sauce
- 1tsp soy sauce, plus extra to serve
- 2handfuls of ready-to-eat beansprouts
- 3rice noodle nests
- 1lime, cut into wedges
Step 1Prepare the meatballs (see recipe in 'Goes well with'), then heat the oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Fry the meatballs in batches, turning every 1-2 mins until browned all over. Remove the pan from the heat, transfer the meatballs to a plate and set aside.
Step 2Put the ginger, three-quarters of the spring onions, the star anise, cinnamon, lemongrass, half of the green chilli, the coriander stalks, sugar and beef stock in the pan, and bring to the boil over a medium heat. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 35 mins until the lemongrass has become tender and the flavours have infused.
Step 3Add the meatballs and simmer for 10-12 mins until cooked through, then add the fish sauce to taste, along with the soy sauce and freshly ground black pepper. Add the beansprouts, turn up the heat to medium-high, and cook for another 3 mins.
Step 4Meanwhile, cook the noodles following pack instructions. Drain well and divide between four bowls. Top with the meatballs and broth, removing the cinnamon and star anise. Scatter over the remaining spring onions, chilli and coriander leaves, and serve with lime wedges for squeezing over.