This incredibly rich fondue of fontina cheese, eggs, milk and butter works as a dip for bread and crudité, or as a decadent sauce for simply cooked vegetables.
- Serves: 4 persons
- 2tablespoons unsalted butter
- ¾cup whole milk
- 3egg yolks, lightly beaten
- ½pound fontina cheese, preferably Val d’Aosta, diced small
- Shaved fresh truffle or truffle oil for garnish (optional)
- Cubed bread or boiled potatoes or steamed asparagus, for serving (optional).
Step 1In top of a double boiler set over simmering water, melt butter. In a bowl, whisk together the milk and the yolks; stir in the cheese.
Step 2Whisking constantly, slowly add egg and cheese mixture into butter. Continue whisking until mixture has melted and thickened slightly, 8 to 10 minutes.
Step 3Transfer fonduta to a warmed bowl and garnish with shaved truffle or truffle oil, if desired. Serve with bread, potatoes or asparagus, for dipping. Alternatively, arrange asparagus on a platter, drizzle with fonduta, and garnish with shaved truffle or truffle oil.