Spiced Chickpeas (Chole)
Serve nice and hot with rice or naan. This is one of my favorite Indian dishes.
- Serves: 4 persons
- 2tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1teaspoon ground cumin
- ½teaspoon ground dried red chilies
- 2serrano chile peppers, seeded and chopped
- 2large onions, chopped
- 2(15 ounce) cans garbanzo beans (chickpeas), drained
- 3tablespoons lemon juice
- ⅔cup water
- salt to taste
- 3tablespoons minced fresh ginger root
- 2large tomatoes, chopped
- ¼cup chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish
Step 1Heat the vegetable oil in a large pot over medium heat. Stir in the cumin and ground red chilies, and cook for a few seconds until the spices are fragrant. Add the serrano chiles, onions, garbanzo beans, lemon juice, and water; season to taste with salt. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until the vegetables are tender and most of the liquid has evaporated, about 15 minutes. Sprinkle with ginger, tomatoes, and cilantro to serve.