Lemony Pickled Mushrooms
These are great appetizers and snacks. Use on an antipasto tray, on bruschetta with goat cheese, or just out of the jar. Go for a variety of different mushrooms here. They keep for about 2 months in the refrigerator.
- Serves: 4 persons
- 3cups sliced fresh mushrooms, or more to taste
- 4sprigs fresh thyme
- ½serrano pepper, thinly sliced, or more to taste
- 1cup white wine
- ½cup water
- 2½ tablespoons kosher salt
- 1tablespoon white sugar
- 4cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 20whole black peppercorns
- 12coriander seeds
- 3(1-inch) strips lemon zest, or more to taste
Step 1Fill four sterilized 8-ounce jars 3/4 of the way with mushrooms. Place 1 thyme sprig and some serrano pepper slices on top.
Step 2Combine white wine, water, kosher salt, sugar, garlic, peppercorns, coriander seeds, and lemon zest in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until sugar dissolves, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and pour over mushroom mixture in each jar.
Step 3Tightly seal each jar and transfer to the refrigerator. Chill until flavors meld, 1 to 2 days.