Grilled Salmon Burgers With Radicchio Slaw and Sambal Mayonnaise
These delectable grilled salmon burgers are topped with a refreshing radicchio slaw and a creamy sambal mayonnaise.
- Serves: 5 persons
- 1 ½pounds/680 g salmon filet (cut into 3-inch chunks)
- 2green onions (chopped)
- ⅓cup/240 mL almond flour (you can use bread or panko crumbs too)
- 1teaspoon/5 mL rice wine vinegar
- ¼teaspoon/2.5 mL ginger (powdered)
- ¼teaspoon/2.5 mL salt
- ¼teaspoon/2.5 mL white pepper
- vegetable oil
- 4-5 hamburger buns
- For the Slaw:
- 1medium radicchio (shredded, washed, and dried)
- 1medium carrot (shredded)
- 3tablespoons/45 mL peanuts (chopped)
- 1tablespoon/15 mL rice wine vinegar
- 1tablespoon/15 mL soy sauce
- 1teaspoon/5 mL sesame oil
- ¼teaspoon/1 mL salt
- ¼teaspoon/1 mL black pepper
- For the Mayonnaise:
- ½cup/120 mL mayonnaise
- 1tablespoon/15 mL sambal chili sauce
- ¼teaspoon/2.5 mL onion powder
- ⅛teaspoon/1.25 mL black pepper
Step 1Gather the ingredients.
Step 2Cut salmon fillets into 3-inch chunks and remove any skin or bones that remain. Place chunks into a food processor with white parts of the green onion. Add almond flour, salt, white pepper, ginger, and rice wine vinegar.
Step 3Process ingredients until well combined. Mixture should have a little texture, so do not over process. Remove lid, add green portion of green onion, replace lid and pulse 5 times. Set aside while you prepare the grill.
Step 4Preheat grill for medium-high heat. Once grill comes up to full heat (about 10 to 15 minutes later), oil grill grates with an oil-soaked paper towel. Secure into a large pair of cooking tongs and wipe across grill grate 3 to 4 times to create a nonstick cooking surface.
Step 5While grill is heating up, form salmon mixture into 5 equal-sized patties. Place onto grill and cook for 8 to 10 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 145 F/65 C. Once cooked through, remove patties from heat and place onto a large plate. Tent with aluminum foil.
Step 6To prepare slaw: Add shredded radicchio and carrot to a large bowl. Add rice wine vinegar, soy sauce, sesame oil, salt and black pepper. Toss to coat. Taste and add more soy sauce or salt to you liking. Add peanuts at the very end and toss to distribute through slaw. You can prepare the slaw before working on the salmon. Simply cover bowl and refrigerate until ready to use.
Step 7To prepare mayonnaise: Combine mayonnaise with sambal chile sauce, pepper, and onion powder.
Step 8To assemble burgers: Add a generous amount of sambal mayonnaise to bottom bun, place grilled salmon patty on top, then radicchio slaw, and top bun. Serve with your favorite sides.