Shrimp Piccata Spaghetti
The zesty piccata sauce of fresh lemon juice, briny capers and rich butter is the inspiration behind this weeknight seafood pasta. Plump, meaty shrimp pair perfectly with the pantry-staple sauce, which is simple yet fresh and bright. The chopped shrimp are gently cooked over low heat in a shallot and garlic-infused olive oil to keep them tender. Peas are an easy way to add a vegetable with pops of sweetness. (Thawed frozen corn would also work well.) The dish is finished with fresh parsley, but other herbs like basil, chives or dill would yield equally delicious results.
- Serves: 4 persons
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 1pound spaghetti
- 3tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1medium shallot, finely chopped (1/2 cup)
- 3garlic cloves, minced
- 1pound cleaned medium shrimp, chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1cup thawed frozen peas
- 2tablespoons capers, plus 2 tablespoons caper brine
- 3tablespoons lemon juice
- 2tablespoons chopped parsley, plus more for garnish
- Step 1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high. Cook spaghetti according to package instructions until al dente. Reserve 1 cup of the pasta cooking water, then drain pasta.
Step 1While the pasta is cooking, heat the oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium and melt 1 tablespoon of the butter in it. Add shallot and cook, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes. Stir in garlic until fragrant, 30 seconds. Reduce heat to medium-low, add shrimp and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until shrimp just turn opaque, 4 to 5 minutes. If the shrimp is done before the pasta finishes, remove it from heat.
Step 2Return pasta and 1 cup of the reserved pasta water to the large pasta pot and heat over medium. Add the shrimp mixture, peas, capers, caper brine and the remaining 3 tablespoons butter, and season with salt and pepper. Stir vigorously until sauce thickens, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the lemon juice and parsley.
Step 3Divide pasta in bowls and garnish with more parsley.