Low Calorie Chicken Tortilla Soup
This low-calorie recipe for chicken tortilla soup is so easy it is foolproof. It makes a great last-minute meal that is delicious and satisfying.
- Serves: 6 persons
- 1clove garlic (finely chopped)
- 1pound chicken breast tenders (cut into bite-sized pieces)
- ½cup chopped onion (1/2 of one medium)
- 1teaspoon ground cumin
- 1cup water
- 15-ounce can chicken broth
- 16-ounce can diced tomatoes (undrained)
- 16-ounce can Mexican style stewed tomatoes (undrained)
- 2ounces shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2ounces crushed baked tortilla chips
- Garnish: cilantro (diced)
Step 1The first thing to do is to cook the onions and garlic to release their delicious flavor. Heat a large, high-sided pan, coated with cooking spray, over medium-high heat and add the garlic. Cook the garlic for one minute until it becomes aromatic.
Step 2Next, add the chicken, onion, and cumin , and cook an additional 4 to 5 minutes, or until onions are soft and translucent and the chicken is no longer pink in the middle. While cooking the onions and the chicken, toss them around the hot pan occasionally so that they cook evenly on all sides.
Step 3Next, pour in the water, chicken broth, diced tomatoes, and stewed tomatoes right into the same pot as the chicken and the vegetables. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer the soup for 10 minutes while all of the flavors blend together.
Step 4Ladle the soup into individual serving bowls to serve. For a nice presentation, top the bowls of soup evenly with the shredded cheese, chips, and cilantro. Serve immediately. Per Serving Calories 155