A good chopped salad is a buoyant mix of different textures (creamy, crisp, crunchy, juicy), a range of colors, and sweet, salty and tangy flavors. This one has it all, in just the right proportions. You can gather all the ingredients in advance, including cooking the bacon and the eggs. But don’t toss everything together until just before serving — and, preferably, do so at the table for maximum impact.
- Serves: 6 persons
- ⅓cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3romaine hearts (about 1 pound), trimmed and torn into bite-size pieces
- 1cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- ¾cup (about 6 ounces) chopped cooked bacon
- ¾cup thinly sliced cucumber
- ½cup crumbled blue cheese or feta
- ¼cup thinly sliced scallions
- 1ripe avocado, pitted, peeled and sliced
- 2hard-cooked (or jammy) eggs, quartered
Step 1Make the dressing: Zest the lemon into a small bowl, then halve the naked lemon and squeeze the juice into the bowl. Whisk in oil and season to taste with salt and pepper; set aside.
Step 2Put the romaine into a large bowl, then top with tomatoes, bacon, cucumber, blue cheese and scallions. Drizzle in about two thirds of the dressing, then toss until well coated.
Step 3Place sliced avocado and eggs on top of salad, and season lightly with salt and pepper (especially the avocado, which can take a lot of salt). Drizzle salad with remaining dressing, and serve.