Classic Dutch Hot Chocolate (Warme Chocolademelk)
This classic Dutch hot chocolate recipe is one of unashamed indulgence to enjoy on cold or rainy days when a cup of liquid comfort is what you need.
- Serves: 2 persons
- ⅓cup/100 grams dark chocolate chips
- 1teaspoon cocoa (Dutch process)
- 1 ¼cup/300 milliters milk (whole)
- 1tablespoon whipped cream (best quality)
- Optional: brandy or rum , to taste
- Optional: sugar or sweetener, to taste
- Garnish: dust with ground cinnamon or cocoa
Step 1Gather the ingredients.
Step 2Put the chocolate chips, cocoa, and 1/4 cup of the milk (about 60 ml) in a small saucepan over a medium heat.
Step 3Allow the chocolate to melt into the milk while stirring with a wooden spoon.
Step 4Add the rest of the milk and whisk lightly until well mixed and foamy.
Step 5Add the brandy or rum, if using.
Step 6Pour into small cups, top with whipped cream, dust with cinnamon, and serve piping hot.