Honeyed beetroot & carrot salad with feta & hazelnuts
Toss together beetroot, carrot, feta, hazelnuts, quinoa and bulgur wheat, plus herbs and the zesty orange and lemon, to make this stunning salad
- Serves: 6 persons
- 4carrots (about 450g), cut into batons
- 4beetroots (about 450g), peeled and cut into thin wedges
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 150g quinoa and bulgur wheat mix
- 2tbsp honey
- 2lemons, zested and juiced
- 1orange, zested and juiced
- 1tsp ground cumin
- 1tsp ground coriander
- 75g hazelnuts, roughly chopped
- 2tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- small bunch of mint, leaves picked and chopped
- small bunch of parsley, chopped
- small bunch of dill, chopped
- 200g feta, crumbled (ensure vegetarian)
Step 1Heat the oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Tip the carrots and beetroot wedges into a roasting tin, drizzle with the olive oil and season. Toss to coat and roast for 25 mins.
Step 2Meanwhile, cook the quinoa and bulgur wheat mixture in a pan of boiling salted water following pack instructions. Drain in a sieve, then set aside to cool slightly.
Step 3Combine the honey, lemon zest, orange zest and juice, the cumin and coriander. Remove the tin from the oven and pour the honey mixture over the veg. Stir, then scatter over the hazelnuts and return to the oven for another 10 mins.
Step 4Tip the cooked grains onto a serving platter. Squeeze over the lemon juice and drizzle with the extra virgin olive oil. Top with most of the herbs and the feta, season well, and toss together. Pile the roasted veg and hazelnuts on top, pouring over any roasting juices from the tin. Scatter with the remaining herbs just before serving. Best served warm or at room temperature.