Southwestern Sausage Stuffing
A mixture of cornbread and bolillo rolls make up the base of this tasty Jimmy Dean® sausage stuffing. The addition of creamed corn, green chiles, and Mexican spices make this dish an addictively tasty twist on traditional stuffing!
- Serves: 1 person
- cooking spray
- 1(16 ounce) package Jimmy Dean® Premium Pork Regular Sausage
- 1cup diced onion
- 2teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 1teaspoon salt
- 1teaspoon ground cumin
- 1teaspoon chili powder
- ½teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½teaspoon dried oregano
- ½teaspoon dried sage
- ½teaspoon garlic powder
- 3cups stale or toasted cornbread, crumbled
- 3(2.6 ounce) bolillo rolls (Mexican bread rolls), diced and toasted
- 1(14.75 ounce) can creamed corn
- 1cup chicken broth
- 1(4 ounce) can diced green chiles
- 2large eggs, lightly beaten
- ¼cup chopped cilantro
Step 1Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 2-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
Step 2Add sausage to a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook and stir with a spatula, breaking apart the sausage until cooked, 5 to 7 minutes.
Step 3Mix poultry seasoning, salt, cumin, chili powder, black pepper, cayenne, oregano, sage, and garlic powder into the sausage mixture.
Step 4Combine cornbread crumbles and bolillo pieces in a large bowl. Mix in sausage mixture. Add creamed corn, chicken broth, green chiles, eggs, and cilantro; stir to combine.
Step 5Transfer stuffing mixture to the prepared baking dish. Cover with foil.
Step 6Bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes. Uncover and continue to bake until golden, about 15 minutes more.