Slow Cooker Beef and Bean Stew
Our hearty, protein-rich beef and bean stew is packed with flavor, and the slow cooker makes it an excellent one-pot meal for a busy day.
- Serves: 6 persons
- 1 ½pounds beef chuck (see notes)
- 2tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3tablespoons all-purpose flour
- l large onion (about 1 1/2 cups chopped)
- 3ribs celery
- 3carrots (about 1 cup sliced or diced)
- 1green bell pepper
- 1red bell pepper
- 1teaspoon kosher salt (or to taste)
- 1teaspoon Cajun seasoning or seasoning salt
- ¼teaspoon black pepper
- 2(15-ounce) cans pinto beans
- 1(10.5-ounce) can condensed beef broth (undiluted, or homemade rich beef stock)
- 2(14.5-ounce) cans diced tomatoes, not drained
- 1cup whole kernel corn (canned and drained or frozen and thawed)
Step 1Cut the beef into 1/2-inch pieces. Transfer the beef to a bag and add the flour. Shake to coat thoroughly.
Step 2Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the beef pieces; cook until the beef is well browned, stirring frequently. The caramelized crust on the outside of the seared beef gives the stew color, texture, and deeper flavor.
Step 3Meanwhile, peel and chop the onion into 1/4-inch dice. Slice the celery and carrots, and chop the bell peppers.
Step 4Drain the beans in a colander and rinse them briefly with tap water.
Step 5In a 4-quart or 6-quart slow cooker, combine the chopped onions, sliced celery, carrots, green and red bell pepper, seasonings, beans, beef broth or stock, tomatoes, and the browned beef.
Step 6Cover the pot and cook on high for 4 to 5 hours, or on low for 8 to 10 hours.
Step 7Add corn kernels about 1 hour before serving time, if desired.