Jen's Cranberry Apple Pie
One of my favorite pies to make at Thanksgiving, this cranberry apple pie has just the right amount of sweet and tart.
- Serves: 1 person
- 2pounds tart pink baking apples (such as Pink Lady®) - peeled, cored, and sliced
- 1pound Granny Smith apples - peeled, cored, and sliced
- 1½ cups fresh cranberries
- 1cup firmly packed brown sugar
- ¼cup all-purpose flour
- 2Meyer lemons, zested
- 1¼ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ¼teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1pie dough for a double-crust pie
- 2tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
Step 1Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
Step 2Combine pink apples, Granny Smith apples, cranberries, brown sugar, flour, lemon zest, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla together in a bowl and stir until apples are completely coated.
Step 3Roll out and line a pie dish with 1/2 the dough. Pour apple mixture into pie dish. Dot apple mixture with butter pieces. Roll out remaining 1/2 the dough and top apple mixture with dough. Pinch edges of bottom and top crusts together. Tuck in dough and crimp to form a border. Cut vents in the top of the dough and place pie on a baking sheet.
Step 4Bake pie in the preheated oven until apples are tender, filling is bubbling, and crust is golden brown, about 50 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.