Roasted Salmon With Toasted Sesame Slaw
Raw bean sprouts are the unexpected star in this version of coleslaw. The toasted sesame-seed vinaigrette brings out the natural earthiness in the crisp sprouts and shredded cabbage. This slaw, beaming with bright ginger, lemon and scallion, is the perfect accompaniment to silky, rich salmon. For a more filling meal, serve with white or brown rice on the side.
- Serves: 4 persons
- 4(6-ounce) skin-on salmon fillets
- 3tablespoons canola oil
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 3tablespoons sesame seeds
- 5tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- ½cup finely chopped scallions
- 2tablespoons peeled, grated ginger
- 2tablespoons lemon juice
- 1tablespoon mayonnaise
- ½teaspoon grated garlic
- 3cups bean sprouts (about 6 ounces)
- 1cup shredded cabbage (about 3 ounces)
- 1cup shredded carrots (about 3 ounces)
- 1(15 1/2-ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
Step 1Heat oven to 425 degrees. Arrange salmon on a rimmed baking sheet. Rub with 1 tablespoon of the oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast until opaque and medium throughout, about 10 minutes.
Step 2Meanwhile, in a small skillet, toast the sesame seeds over low heat, stirring, until golden, about 3 to 4 minutes; scrape into a large bowl. Add sesame oil, scallions, ginger, lemon juice, mayonnaise, garlic and remaining 2 tablespoons oil; season with salt and pepper. Whisk to combine. Reserve 1/4 cup of the vinaigrette in a small bowl.
Step 3To the large bowl, add bean sprouts, cabbage, carrots and chickpeas, and season with salt and pepper. Mix well.
Step 4Spoon reserved vinaigrette over the salmon and serve with the slaw.