Sheet-Pan Chicken With Artichokes and Herbs
This weeknight sheet-pan dinner takes inspiration from porchetta, the classic Italian pork roast that’s scented with fennel and herbs. Here, a fragrant spice rub of ground fennel, garlic, rosemary and sage is placed onto chicken thighs, instantly elevating plain chicken with minimal effort. Canned artichokes are a versatile and time-saving pantry staple, commonly tossed into salads but here, they are fantastic roasted. The juicy chicken thighs create a bright pan sauce mixed with briny olives and lemon juice. Leftovers can be chopped and tossed with mayonnaise for a fantastic chicken salad the next day.
- Serves: 4 persons
- 3large fennel bulbs (about 3 pounds), trimmed, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/2-inch-thick wedges
- 2(14-ounce) cans whole artichoke hearts in water, drained and halved lengthwise
- 8ounces cherry tomatoes
- 6tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and pepper
- 2tablespoons minced garlic
- 2tablespoons ground fennel
- 1tablespoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1tablespoon finely chopped fresh sage
- 8bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs (about 3 pounds)
- ½cup pitted green olives, chopped
- 2tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1teaspoon red-pepper flakes (optional)
Step 1Heat oven to 425 degrees. On a rimmed baking sheet, combine fennel wedges, artichokes, tomatoes and 3 tablespoons oil. Season with salt and pepper and toss to evenly coat. Spread in an even layer.
Step 2In a small bowl, combine garlic, ground fennel, rosemary, sage and the remaining 3 tablespoons oil. Season chicken all over with salt and pepper, then rub with spice mixture. Arrange the chicken on top of the vegetables skin-side up.
Step 3Roast until vegetables are tender and chicken is golden and crisp and cooked through, 35 to 40 minutes.
Step 4Divide chicken and vegetables among plates. Pour pan juices into a small bowl, let settle and then skim off the fat with a spoon. Stir in olives, lemon juice and red-pepper flakes (if using). Spoon sauce over chicken and vegetables. Serve warm.