Roasted Cherry Tomato Pasta
Roasting enhances the flavors of any vegetable, but seems to add a wonderful, rich sweetness when done with cherry tomatoes. This recipe takes that sweetness, complements it with fresh herbs and a touch of heat from red pepper flakes, with some low-fat ricotta to smooth it all out. I topped it with some salty, nutty Pecorino cheese.
- Serves: 6 persons
- 2pounds red cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½pound tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 3cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 3tablespoons chicken broth
- 1tablespoon olive oil
- 1tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ¾teaspoon salt
- ½teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼cup julienned fresh basil leaves
- 2tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 12ounces whole wheat linguine
- ½(16 ounce) container low-fat ricotta cheese
- ½cup finely shredded Pecorino Romano cheese
Step 1Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
Step 2Combine all tomatoes, garlic, chicken broth, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper in a large, glass baking dish; toss to coat.
Step 3Roast in the middle of the preheated oven, stirring regularly, until tomatoes are tender, about 45 minutes. Remove from the oven and stir in basil, parsley, and oregano.
Step 4When the tomatoes have been roasting for about 35 minutes, bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook linguine at a boil until tender yet firm to the bite, 5 to 7 minutes (cook for 2 minutes less than package directions.) Drain and return to the pot.
Step 5Add the roasted tomatoes and herbs to the linguine and cook over medium-low heat for 2 minutes. Add ricotta cheese and stir until melted and smooth.
Step 6Serve topped with Pecorino Romano cheese.