Beef Tenderloin in Mushroom Port Sauce
Mushrooms and port wine flavor the sauce for luscious beef tenderloin. Impressive enough for guests, yet easy enough for any family dinner.
- Serves: 6 persons
- 1tablespoon olive oil
- 2large cloves garlic (minced)
- ½teaspoon salt
- ½teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 3pounds well-trimmed beef tenderloin roast ( center cut )
- 3tablespoons butter
- 1pound mixed fresh mushrooms (shiitake, cremini, and oyster, stems removed and cut in half if large)
- ¼cup shallots (finely chopped)
- 1cup good port wine
- 1can (13 3/4 to 14 1/2 oz.) ready-to-serve beef broth
- ¼cup coarse-grain Dijon-style mustard
- 1tablespoon cornstarch (dissolved in 2 tbsp. water)
- Optional: 1 tablespoon butter (softened)
Step 1Gather the ingredients.
Step 2Preheat oven to 425 F.
Step 3Combine olive oil, garlic, salt, and pepper. Press evenly into surface of beef.
Step 4Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Brown beef evenly on all sides to sear.
Step 5Transfer to rack in a shallow roasting pan. Insert meat thermometer so tip is centered in the thickest part of the roast, not resting in fat. Do not add water or cover. Roast in preheated oven about 30 to 35 minutes for medium-rare to medium doneness.
Step 6Meanwhile, in the same skillet, heat 1 1/2 tablespoons butter over medium-high heat until hot. Add half of the mushrooms and the shallots. Cook and stir until mushrooms are tender. Remove from skillet. Repeat with remaining butter and mushrooms. Set aside.
Step 7In the same skillet, bring port wine to a boil over high heat. Cook 5 to 7 minutes or until almost syrupy (reduced to about 2 tablespoons). Stir in broth, mustard, and cornstarch mixture. Cook until slightly thickened and bubbly, stirring occasionally. Return mushrooms to the sauce.
Step 8Remove roast from oven when meat thermometer registers 135 F. Transfer roast to a carving board. Tent loosely with aluminum foil. Let stand 15 minutes. (Temperature will continue to rise about 10 degrees to reach 145 F for medium rare).
Step 9Carve roast into slices. If desired, immediately before serving, stir 1 tablespoon softened butter into sauce . Serve with roast.