Sweet Potatoes With Bourbon and Brown Sugar
These silky mashed sweet potatoes are spiced with cloves, nutmeg and a little black pepper, brightened with lemon zest, and spiked with bourbon (or orange juice, if you'd prefer). Puréeing them in a food processor yields the smoothest, airiest texture, but for something a little more rustic, you could mash them by hand. Whichever you choose, these reheat well, either in a microwave or in a pot over low heat.
- Serves: 10 persons
- 3 ½pounds sweet potatoes, pricked with a fork (10 to 12 sweet potatoes)
- 6tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3to 4 tablespoons dark brown sugar, or to taste
- 1 ½tablespoons bourbon or orange juice
- ¾teaspoon grated lemon zest
- ¾teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
- ½teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- ¼teaspoon black pepper
- Large pinch of ground cloves
Step 1Heat oven to 350 degrees. Wrap potatoes in foil, place on a rimmed baking sheet, and bake until tender, about 1 hour. Let rest until cool enough to handle but still warm, then remove the foil and peel off the skins.
Step 2Add sweet potatoes to a food processor, along with butter, brown sugar, bourbon or juice, lemon zest, salt, nutmeg, pepper and cloves. Purée until smooth. (Or, for a chunkier texture, mash them by hand.) Taste and add salt, sugar or both if you like. Serve while still warm or reheat before serving.