Hot Dog Onions
I love the push cart hot dogs, mainly because of the onions they serve on top...so I mixed and matched many different ingredients until I came up with the perfect combination for this recipe! This tastes just like the kind of onions I often would get from my favorite hot dog stands!
- Serves: 4 persons
- 2tablespoons corn oil
- 1extra large onion, thinly sliced
- 1½ teaspoons hot pepper sauce (such as Frank's RedHot®)
- 1teaspoon prepared yellow mustard
- 1teaspoon white sugar
- 1teaspoon chili powder
- 1teaspoon salt
- ¼teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- ½cup water
- 2tablespoons tomato paste
Step 1Heat the corn oil in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in the onion; cook and stir until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in the hot sauce, yellow mustard, sugar, chili powder, salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper. Reduce heat to medium-low, and continue to cook for about 5 minutes. Stir in the water and tomato paste; simmer until liquid has reduced, about 20 minutes.