Thai Saffron Coconut Rice Recipe
If you like coconut rice, try this delicious Thai coconut saffron rice recipe. This uses both saffron rice and coconut rice combined in one recipe.
- Serves: 4 persons
- 2cups white Thai jasmine rice
- 2cups good-quality coconut milk
- 1+3/4 cups good-tasting chicken or vegetable stock
- 2+1/2 tablespoons dry shredded coconut, unsweetened (baking type)
- 1teaspoon turmeric
- Optional: 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon saffron threads
- 1clove garlic, minced
- 1tablespoons fish sauce , OR soy sauce if vegetarian
- 1tablespoons lemon juice
- 1teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼to 1/2 teaspoon dried crushed chili (available in the spice aisle)
- 2green onions OR a few chives, sliced (for garnish)
Step 1Place stock in a pot and set over high heat.
Step 2Add the turmeric, saffron threads (if using), garlic, fish sauce, lemon juice , cumin, and chili. Stir well and bring to a boil.
Step 3Add the rice, shredded coconut, plus coconut milk. Stir continuously (to keep rice from sticking to the bottom) while you bring liquid back to a gentle boil.
Step 4When liquid is gently bubbling, reduce heat to low (just above minimum) and stop stirring. Cover pot tightly with a lid and cook about 15 minutes, or until liquid has been absorbed (use a fork to pull rice back so you can see to the bottom of the pot).
Step 5Turn off heat, but leave the pot on the burner (covered) to steam for another 5-10 minutes, or until you're ready to eat. Rice will stay hot in this way for an hour or more (great if you're having company!).
Step 6Before serving, fluff rice with a fork and taste-test for salt.
Step 7If not salty enough (this will depend on the saltiness of your stock), add a little more fish sauce OR a sprinkling of salt if vegetarian. If too salty, add another squeeze of lemon juice.
Step 8Garnish with the green onion, and serve with a nice Thai Curry , Indian curry , or other dishes of your choice. For plain coconut rice, see my: Easy Coconut Rice Recipe.