Overnight Pumpkin Spice French Toast
You only need a few everyday ingredients like milk, bread and eggs — plus a heavy dose of your favorite pumpkin spice blend — to make this warming breakfast for a crowd. The whole thing is assembled the night before, so all you need to do when you wake up is a few finishing touches before you pop it in the oven. If you don’t have a favorite pumpkin spice blend, there is one at the bottom of this recipe for you to try. Don’t forget the maple syrup — and potentially some toasted nuts or fruit — to serve.
- Serves: 6 persons
- 3tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into cubes, plus more for greasing the pan
- 2cups/480 milliliters whole milk
- 4large eggs
- ¼(packed) cup/50 grams light brown sugar
- 4teaspoons store-bought or homemade pumpkin spice blend (see Tip)
- 1teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½teaspoon fine salt
- 1pound enriched bread loaf, like challah or brioche, cut into 3/4-inch-thick slices
- Maple syrup
- Chopped toasted walnuts or pecans or fresh berries (optional)
- Butter a 9-by-13-inch metal, glass or ceramic baking dish.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs, sugar, pumpkin spice blend, vanilla and salt.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then remove the foil and bake until lightly browned, slightly puffy in the center, and cooked through, 15 to 20 more minutes. Tent with foil if the top is browning too quickly.
- Let cool slightly before serving with maple syrup, and nuts or fruit, if desired.