Indian Chaat-Inspired Potato Chip Salad
We're making chip chaat! This Indian street food often features crispy fried things topped with all kinds of amazing garnishes. It's by far one of the most delicious foods in the world. So, I decided to try that same approach with potato chips, and I love how this came out.
- 1½ cups plain Greek yogurt
- 2medium limes, juiced
- 2teaspoons tamarind paste, or to taste
- 1½ teaspoons garam masala
- ½teaspoon ground cumin
- 2teaspoons hot sauce
- 1teaspoon white sugar
- ¼cup water, or as needed
- 12cups kettle-cooked potato chips
- ½cup thinly sliced jalapeno pepper
- ½cup thinly sliced red bell pepper
- ½cup thinly sliced red onion
- ½cup thinly sliced green onion
- 1cup sliced cooked purple potatoes
- 1cup chopped fresh mint leaves
- 1cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 2medium limes, halved
Step 1Combine yogurt, lime juice, tamarind paste, garam masala, cumin, hot sauce, and sugar in a bowl with a whisk until combined. Taste and adjust as needed; mix in water as needed to reach desired consistency.
Step 2Layer chips, jalapeno, bell pepper, red and green onions, potatoes, mint, cilantro, and yogurt sauce as desired for individual portions, or this can be served salad bar-style and everyone can make their own plate. Squeeze lime juice from halves over top.