Black-Eyed Pea Sausage Dip
If you do not really care for black-eyed peas but want to bring good luck for the New Year, try this recipe. Put this in the slow cooker the night before and have an amazing dip the next evening! Serve this at a party as a dip or serve with cornbread for a meal. Very versatile recipe. Serve hot with tortilla chips or crackers.
- Serves: 14 persons
- 3tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1large onion, chopped
- 4stalks celery, chopped
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1(12 ounce) package reduced fat pork sausage
- 3(15.5 ounce) cans black-eyed peas, undrained
- 2(10 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with green chiles (such as Rotel®)
Step 1Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and celery; cook and stir until translucent, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Scoop vegetables into a slow cooker.
Step 2Place sausage in the same skillet. Cook, breaking apart with a wooden spoon, until browned, 5 to 6 minutes. Transfer to the slow cooker; pour in black-eyed peas and diced tomatoes with green chiles.
Step 3Cook on Low until black-eyed peas are tender, about 16 hours.