Jamaican Jerk Beer Can Turkey
This grilled turkey not only gets the moisture of the beer can, but the great flavor of jerk seasonings.
- Serves: 10 persons
- For the Jerk Seasoning:
- 1cup (240 grams) green onions , chopped
- ½cup (120 grams) cilantro , chopped
- ½cup (120 grams) parsley , chopped
- 1tablespoon (15 grams) fresh thyme, chopped
- 4cloves garlic
- 2shallots, finely chopped
- 3tablespoons (45 grams) brown sugar
- 3tablespoons (45 milliliters) lime juice
- 3tablespoons (45 grams) ground allspice
- 1tablespoon (15 grams) cumin
- ½cup (120 milliliters) soy sauce
- 3scotch bonnet peppers, chopped
- ½cup (120 milliliters) cooking oil, plus more to coat the turkey
- For the Turkey:
- 1(15-pound/7-kilogram) whole turkey
- 1(24-ounce/360-milliliter) can beer
Step 1Gather the ingredients and prepare grill for indirect grilling.
Step 2Combine everything for the jerk seasoning in a food processor and blend until smooth.
Step 3Rub the jerk mixture all over the surface of the turkey. Try to work it under the skin as much as possible.
Step 4Open can and dispose of about 1/4 of the beer.
Step 5Place the can of beer over unheated portion of the grill. The can needs to be very stable on the grill.
Step 6Lower the turkey over the beer can so that the can fits entirely inside the cavity of the turkey.
Step 7Cook over a medium to medium-high heat for about 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
Step 8If cooking a larger or smaller bird, adjust cooking times. Check for an internal temperature in the thigh of the turkey of 165 F/74 C before removing it from the grill.
Step 9When the turkey is done, remove from grill and allow to rest for 10 minutes before carving.
Step 10Serve and enjoy.