Chicken, Butternut Squash, and Quinoa Soup
A quick, family-friendly butternut squash soup. An easy dish to make with leftover chicken.
- Serves: 6 persons
- 1tablespoon olive oil
- 1medium onion, finely chopped
- 3cloves garlic, minced, or more to taste
- 1tablespoon dried oregano
- 1tablespoon dried thyme
- 1teaspoon ground paprika
- 4cups chicken broth
- 1teaspoon salt
- 1teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 3cups butternut squash, chopped
- 1(14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1cup uncooked quinoa
Step 1Heat olive oil in a stockpot over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic, oregano, thyme, and paprika and saute until onion begins to brown, 5 to 7 minutes. Pour in chicken broth, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil. Add chicken and boil until meat is no longer pink, 10 to 15 minutes. Remove chicken to cool.
Step 2Stir squash, tomatoes, and quinoa into the pot. Reduce heat and let simmer until squash is tender, about 15 minutes. Shred chicken into bite-size pieces and return to the pot to heat through, 5 to 10 minutes. Season with additional salt and pepper if needed.