Yakitori-Style Salmon With Scallions and Zucchini
Yakitori is a Japanese dish in which boneless chicken pieces seasoned with salt (shio) and a soy basting sauce (tare) are threaded onto bamboo skewers and grilled over a charcoal fire. This weeknight meal borrows the flavors of traditional yakitori and applies it to salmon and vegetables. A salty-sweet sauce of soy sauce, sugar, vinegar, garlic and ginger doubles as a glaze and serving sauce. Tossed with greens, the leftover salmon and vegetables make a nice salad the next day, and the sauce keeps in the refrigerator for up to a week. Brush it onto chicken or pork chops before roasting, or use it to season your next clean-out-the-fridge fried rice.
- Serves: 4 persons
- ¼cup canola oil, plus more for greasing
- 1tablespoon minced garlic (from about 3 cloves)
- 1tablespoon minced ginger (from a 1-inch piece)
- ⅔cup low-sodium soy sauce
- ⅓cup turbinado sugar
- 2tablespoons unseasoned rice vinegar
- 2tablespoons cornstarch
- 1pound small zucchini (about 3), trimmed and sliced 1/8-inch-thick
- 8scallions, trimmed, halved lengthwise, if large, and cut into 2-inch pieces
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 2pounds boneless, skinless salmon fillets, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Lemon wedges, for serving
Step 1In a small saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-low. Add garlic and ginger and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 1 minute. Add 2/3 cup water, plus the soy sauce, sugar and vinegar, and bring to a boil over high heat.
Step 2Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring to dissolve the sugar, 1 to 2 minutes. Mix cornstarch with 2 tablespoons water and whisk into sauce. Simmer until thickened, about 2 minutes. Reserve 1 cup of sauce for basting, and transfer remaining sauce to a small bowl, for serving.
Step 3Heat a grill, or a lightly greased cast-iron griddle or grill pan over medium. Season zucchini and scallions with salt and pepper and toss with 2 tablespoons oil. Thread onto wooden skewers that have been soaked in water or metal ones. Season salmon with salt and pepper and toss with remaining 1 tablespoon oil. Thread onto skewers.
Step 4Grill, basting with sauce and turning every few minutes, until salmon and vegetables are caramelized and cooked through, about 10 to 12 minutes for salmon and 12 to 15 minutes for vegetables. Serve with lemon wedges and reserved sauce for dipping.