Jump Rope Pie
'Apples, peaches, pears and plums; tell me when your birthday comes!' How many times did I play this skipping game as a child, and never thought to combine those fruits until now. It's such a fresh-tasting combination of flavours. Great on its own, or enjoy a slice with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream.
- Serves: 1 person
- 1recipe pastry for a double crust 9-inch pie
- 1cup white sugar
- 3tablespoons all-purpose flour, or more as needed
- ½teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- 2cups peeled, cored and sliced apples
- 1cup peeled, pitted and sliced peaches
- 1cup peeled, cored and sliced pears
- 1cup pitted and sliced plums
- 1teaspoon grated fresh ginger root
- 1tablespoon lemon juice
Step 1Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Line a 9-inch pie plate with pastry.
Step 2Whisk sugar, flour, cinnamon, and nutmeg together in a small bowl; sprinkle 1/4 cup of sugar mixture over pastry in pie plate.
Step 3Stir apples, peaches, pears, plums, and ginger together in a bowl; sprinkle with lemon juice and stir to distribute. Place fruit mixture in pie plate; sprinkle with remaining sugar mixture. Cover with pastry, pinch to seal top and bottom crusts together, and cut a few slits in top pastry with a sharp knife. Alternatively, cover with a lattice crust.
Step 4Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes; reduce temperature to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C) and continue baking until crust is golden and filling has thickened, about 35 minutes. Cool completely before serving.