Speedy Mexican Black Beans and Quinoa
A super-speedy simple supper the whole family will love. Full of Mexican flavor, but not too spicy. The ingredients are great to keep on hand in the pantry so you can whip this up on those busy nights.
- Serves: 6 persons
- 5½ cups water, divided
- 2cups quinoa
- 3teaspoons chicken bouillon granules, divided
- 2(15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1(10 ounce) can diced tomatoes and green chiles (such as RO*TEL® Chunky)
- ½teaspoon ground cumin
- ½teaspoon ground coriander
- ⅛teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅛teaspoon cracked black pepper
- ½(8 ounce) package shredded Monterey Jack cheese
Step 1Bring 4 cups water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Stir in quinoa and 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until water is absorbed and quinoa is tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
Step 2Meanwhile, combine remaining 1 1/2 cups water and 1 teaspoon bouillon with black beans, diced tomatoes, cumin, coriander, garlic powder, and pepper in another medium saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and cover. Simmer until quinoa is ready.
Step 3Remove quinoa from heat and let sit for 5 minutes. Spoon the quinoa into bowls. Top with the seasoned beans and Monterey Jack cheese.