Polish Open-Faced Sandwich (Zapiekanka)
Polish zapiekanka or open-faced sandwich is a popular street food served hot in the bigger cities of Poland.
- Serves: 4 persons
- 1loaf bread (long French, cut in half and then cut in half horizontally to yield 4 pieces)
- Optional: thinly sliced ham or lunchmeat of choice
- 2cups mushrooms (sautéed)
- Optional: raw or cooked vegetables of choice
- Optional: mayonnaise
- 3cups cheese (grated melting cheese of choice)
- Garnish: ketchup
- Optional: chopped chives
Step 1If the bread is long, cut it into 3 pieces and halve each horizontally, otherwise, cut it into 2 pieces.
Step 2Layer meat, sautéed mushrooms and cheese on each slice of bread and toast in a hot oven until the bread is crispy and the cheese has melted. Drizzle with ketchup and serve hot.