Smoky Shredded Chicken Chili
The chipotle peppers give this slow cooker shredded chicken chili a subtle smoky flavor. Top with shredded Cheddar cheese, sour cream, oyster crackers, or Fritos® chips.
- Serves: 8 persons
- 1tablespoon olive oil, or as needed
- 1large onion, diced, divided
- 2tablespoons garlic, minced, divided
- 1½ pounds shredded cooked chicken
- 2tablespoons chili powder
- 1tablespoon ground cumin
- 1teaspoon ground coriander
- 2(10 ounce) cans diced tomatoes and green chiles (such as RO*TEL®)
- 1(15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1(15 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1(14 ounce) can chili beans
- 2tablespoons minced chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1teaspoon salt
- 1teaspoon ground black pepper
Step 1Heat oil in a pot over medium-high heat. Add 1/2 of the onion and 1/2 of the garlic; cook until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Add chicken and season with chili powder, cumin, and coriander; cook and stir until fragrant, about 1 minute.
Step 2Stir in remaining onion and garlic, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, chicken broth, chili beans, chipotle peppers, salt, and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and let simmer until reduced and thickened, 1 to 2 hours.