Vegan Jackfruit Tacos
This plant-based, gluten-free recipe uses jackfruit taco "meat" to create all the textures and flavors we know and love about tacos.
- Serves: 4 persons
- For the Avocado Crema:
- 1medium avocado, peeled and seeded
- ¼cup lemon juice, or lime juice
- ½teaspoon salt, or more to taste
- ⅛teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Water, as needed to blend
- For the Jackfruit:
- 1tablespoon neutral oil (such as grapeseed or avocado oil)
- ½cup onion, 1/8-inch slices
- 1 ½teaspoons taco seasoning
- 1teaspoon chili powder
- ½teaspoon cumin powder
- ¼teaspoon chipotle powder
- ½teaspoon dried oregano
- 3cups canned young green jackfruit, drained and shredded
- ¾cup vegetable broth, or no-chicken broth
- ½teaspoon salt
- For the Tacos:
- 8small corn tortillas
- 1cup cooked pinto beans, or black beans
- 3cups prepared jackfruit "meat"
- 1cup avocado crema
- ½cup pico de gallo, optional
- 2tablespoons thinly sliced scallions, optional
Step 1Gather the ingredients.
Step 2Combine all of the avocado crema by blending avocado, lime juice, and seasonings in a blender or food processor. If too thick to blend smoothly, add water one tablespoon at a time. Set aside.
Step 3Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
Step 4Once the oil is hot and shimmering, add the onion and sauté, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until the onions are translucent.
Step 5Stir in the chili powder, cumin, chipotle, and oregano to the skillet. Sauté until fragrant, about 1 minute more.
Step 6Add the jackfruit, stirring to combine with the seasoned onions.
Step 7Add vegetable broth and salt, stirring to combine. Continue to cook over medium-high heat for 5 more minutes, stirring frequently, until the broth is mostly evaporated and the jackfruit is slightly thickened in the sauce.
Step 8Assemble the tacos by spooning on the cooked beans, jackfruit, avocado crema, pico de gallo, and a pinch of scallions.