Turkey Chow Mein With Fresh Vegetables
This recipe for chow mein is a great way to serve leftover turkey from Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner.
- Serves: 4 persons
- For the Vegetables:
- 2cups fresh mushrooms (cleaned, and cut in half)
- 1to 2 stalks celery (cut into 1-inch pieces)
- 1red bell pepper (cut into bite-sized pieces)
- ½red onion (peeled and chopped)
- 1cup mung bean sprouts (rinsed and drained)
- Optional: 1 clove garlic (chopped)
- For the Sauce:
- ½cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 1tablespoon cornstarch
- For the Noodles:
- 2cups noodles
- 3to 4 tablespoons cooking oil (for stir-frying, as needed) divided
- 3cups cooked turkey meat
- Salt to taste
- pepper (to taste)
Step 1Gather the ingredients.
Step 2Mix together sauce ingredients, whisking in cornstarch last.
Step 3Cook noodles according to package directions.
Step 4Heat a wok or frying pan over medium-high to high heat.
Step 5Add 1 tablespoon of oil. When oil is hot, add mushrooms and stir-fry for a minute.
Step 6Remove from pan, add more oil, and stir fry celery and red bell pepper.
Step 7Remove from pan, add more oil, and stir fry onion and garlic.
Step 8Add turkey to pan. Cook for a minute, then add other vegetables back into pan.
Step 9Stir in bean sprouts.
Step 10Add sauce.
Step 11Bring to a boil, add noodles, and mix everything together.