Chicken drumsticks with cashew & turmeric
Enjoy these spiced chicken drumsticks with turmeric and cashews. They're ideal as part of an Indian feast to celebrate Diwali, the Hindu Festival of Light
- Serves: 6 persons
- 75g cashew nuts
- 1lemon, juiced, plus extra wedges to serve
- 150g strained Greek yogurt (use regular Greek-style yogurt if you can’t find strained)
- 50g ginger, peeled and finely grated
- 8garlic cloves, crushed
- ½tsp ground turmeric
- 1tsp Kashmiri chilli powder
- ½tsp carom seeds (ajwain – optional)
- 1tsp garam masala
- 1tsp ground cumin
- ¾tsp cracked black peppercorns
- 50ml double cream
- 12chicken drumsticks, skinned
- 50g ghee or 75ml sunflower oil
- 1small red onion, cut into rings, to serve
Step 1Put the cashew nuts in a bowl and cover with boiling water. Set aside for at least 2 hrs to soften. Drain the nuts, then blend until smooth in a food processor with the lemon juice.
Step 2Mix the cashew nut paste with the yogurt, ginger, garlic, spices and cream in a large bowl.
Step 3Make 2-3 slashes on each chicken drumstick and coat with the spiced yogurt. Cover the bowl and leave to marinate in the fridge for 1-2 hrs, or overnight if you have the time.
Step 4Heat the oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7. In a large roasting tin, heat the ghee or oil until very hot.
Step 5Arrange the chicken in the tin in a single layer. Spoon over half the marinade. Return the tin to the oven.
Step 6After 15 mins, turn the chicken over and spread with the remaining marinade. Cook for a further 15 mins, until the chicken juices run clear when pierced with a knife.
Step 7On the hottest setting, grill the chicken for 3-4 mins until browned. Transfer to a serving dish, scatter with the red onion rings, and serve alongside the lemon wedges for squeezing over.