Creamy Slow Cooker Sausage Stew
This creamy sausage stew makes a tasty and flavorful cold weather meal best served with crusty bread or hot baked biscuits.
- Serves: 6 persons
- 6to 8 medium red or white potatoes (cut in 1/2-inch to 1-inch cubes, about 4 cups total)
- 2cups chopped onion
- ½red bell pepper (diced)
- 1green bell pepper (diced)
- 2ribs celery (thinly sliced)
- 2medium carrots (thinly sliced)
- 12to 16 ounces andouille sausage (or another kind of smoked or cooked sausage)
- 4tablespoons olive oil
- 1tablespoon dried leaf basil
- 1teaspoon salt
- 1teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½teaspoon garlic powder
- 1(10 3/4-ounce) can cream of potato soup
- ½cup light cream (or heavy cream)
- 3tablespoons cornstarch
- 3tablespoons cold water
Step 1Lightly grease or oil the crockery insert of a 4-quart or larger slow cooker.
Step 2Combine the cubed potatoes, chopped onion, red and green bell pepper, celery, carrots, and sausage in the prepared slow cooker.
Step 3In a small bowl, combine the olive oil with the dried leaf basil, salt, pepper, and garlic powder . Add to the potato and sausage mixture and stir to coat thoroughly. Stir in the potato soup.
Step 4Cover and cook on high for 2 1/2 to 3 hours or on low for about 6 hours, or until the vegetables are tender.
Step 5Combine the cornstarch and cold water, whisking until smooth. Add to the stew along with the cream. Cover and cook for about 5 minutes longer, until the stew is bubbling and thickened.
Step 6Taste and adjust salt, pepper, and other seasonings as needed.